Saturday, March 25, 2006

a crafter's dilema

Oh, how I obsess. I am knitting this baby blanket for a co-worker. The colors aren't entirely accurate in this picture. It's bright & beautiful. (I hate when people overload babies with pastel crap. Kids need color in their lives.)

Trouble is, when I ordered my yarn from knitpicks they were out of the "asparagus" color, so I substituted it for a very similar yarn from my local yarn shop. Problem is, I'm pretty sure I am not going to have enough of this particular yarn to finish the project. The shop is out of this yarn & does not expect to get it in any time soon. Because I choose to purchase locally, it's not a yarn that is available over the internet or at a chain store such as Michaels. I could very well just order the asparagus from knitpicks, because now they have it. But here's the crafters dilema...

Do I start using this new yarn knowing that it will be different from the yarn I've been using thus far? Because that would bug the crap out of me. But as is most often the case, I'm making it for someone who's not a crafter, and would probably not even notice the difference!

But once I gave it to them, I just know that every time it's referenced or shown I will have to point out the discrepency like a forming pimple that I am just sure everyone is staring at. People who don't craft don't have these problems! But me, I lay in bed at night playing this stuff out in my head.

So even though this blanket is a boooring knit, I've been working on it obsessively so I can come to a conclusion about this dilema. Also, I have about 4 other knitting projects that I have lined up for those size needles. (Now that is when you know you are obsessed.)

No comments: