Friday, September 22, 2006

a resurfacing

Don't believe the rumors. I have not been swept up into the bermuda triangle. Nor have I run away with the circus. I'm not ruling out these opportunities to disappear, but maybe I'll hold off till spring at least. No, folks..I've just been....without internet. (insert collective gasp here)

Despite the lack of communication, classes & sifting through a sea of boxes, I have managed to craft. I even finally finished Diamonique!!! Albeit with some mistakes here & there. The most annoying of which is the front armholes. As was instructed for the back, I was supposed to knit on both the "wrong" & "right" sides so the armhole didn't curl & I neglected to do that. I'm the type of gal who needs to be reminded of such things once I get to a new section. Anyway, I had to go back & pick up stitches to do some minor ribbing. I'm hoping it won't stick out so much once I've layered clothing underneath it.
Now I'm working on the Saunshine pattern that came with the Diamonique pattern. I didn't initially have intentions of making it, but decided to in the interest of using some of my yarn stash. However, the problem with my stash is that I don't have enough of any type of yarn to complete a project. It's just a large assortment of one or two skeins of random things. So sometimes I end up collecting more yarn to be able to finish "stash busting" projects. It makes no kind of sense, I know. But I don't really want to have a stash! I really need to get in gear & have a craft swap.

Aside from that, I'm still working on a baby blanket which continues to be the bane of my existence. I also knit a stuffed zebra that I'm quite proud of, but I'll post pictures when I get around to giving her eyes. It will be soon though. For real, it will! Baby shower is next weekend so it's gotta be done.

I also recently attended the NYC Knit Out & Crochet. I had a great time, but the event itself was kinda...ehh. I think it always sits so warmly in my mind since it's an excuse to hang out with one of my close friends from college. Sitting on a park bench in NYC, knitting & catching up with Meg= awesome. Large yarn companies trying to give me advertisements for their overpriced yarns & books= eh..not so much. Plus, there's always the risk of getting trampled by a stampede of aggressive old ladies when they are giving out free stuff at a booth. But I must say, I did also see some cool stuff & learned intarsia knitting.

On another note, I took this random shot on the way out to school the other day because I realized I hade made most of what I was wearing. And I don't think I can really describe how amazing that feels. I knit that top, made that skirt out of a pair of old jeans, and sewed pieces of one of my favorite shirts to that canvas bag. Yay me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i wasn't totally thrilled with the Knit Out in Boston last year, so i ddin't go this year. i can't wait for Rhinebeck, though! i feel like that's gonna be killer!