Sunday, June 08, 2008

An actual update.

A lot of life has happened in the the two months since my last post. I turned 28; finished my masters in social work; went to a prom; had a mini road trip to Boston; and became an aunt again. Impressively, art has still been happening through all of that. I have a few knits in progress and a piece for the earth portion of project spectrum that is actually on display.

I have actually been meaning to write a post dedicated specifically to the Grand Street Community Arts, where my piece is on display. For now, suffice it to say-it's right around the corner from me and I'm really excited about the potential it has to offer. I was given the opportunity to participate in the June showing of their "Boarded Up" project, and the painting I had in mind happens to go beautifully with the project spectrum theme of earth. Oh, synchronicity, how you awe me.

Here are some photos of my piece...
Title: Sacrificio
Medium: Acrylic Paint and Pastel on ply wood



If you are in the Albany area for the month of June, you should really come check it out. For one, the pictures don't do it justice. Two, you can see the other pieces up as well. The pieces will be auctioned off in August, with the proceeds going to support the community center. Here's a photo of one of the other ones up this month that I really liked..In terms of my own personal evolution embracing my art, I feel like I've grown tremendously these past few months. I also contributed to an art auction to raise money for students to go on the Africa trip that I had the privilege of going on last year. Both of the things I donated sold and one of my photos went for $75, which was cool to see. I also did some networking there and made some future contacts for showing more art. It's a big deal for me still to be putting my stuff out there and I was really happy with how this recent painting came out.

I keep telling folks to go see it which feels a little weird for me, but I make myself get over it by remembering how much I appreciate it when my friends share their talents with me whether it's through their music, writing, painting, cooking, whatever. I feel less odd talking about what I'm showing when I think of it as just contributing and giving back some of the inspiration that others share with me.

Now that school is over and done with, there's so much promise of art and inspiration. I will begin a figure drawing class of sorts tomorrow. I've been really itching to do some sewing again. And this summer I have trips planned for both Costa Rica & Honduras, which I'm sure will yield a lot more photos. So hopefully, this blog will be full of a lot more updates.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Dear Lauren,

You.
Are.
AWESOME!!!


Love, Meaghan