Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Knitter Returns

About two weeks ago I received the news that I would be getting laid off from my counseling job at the end of June. I have been less than thrilled with the job & had been trying to bring myself to leave it for quite a few months. It struck me that perhaps the universe was doing for me what I hadn't been able to do for myself.

That sounds rather Zen and all, but don't congratulate me just yet for this stroke of fortune. It also quickly struck me (oh, about 10 minutes later) that it was also my major source of income, that this isn't the best economy to be looking for a job in, and that having to sell myself to prospective employers is a loathsome task that brings up all those icky self confidence issues. Needless to say, I was stressin'.

It was then that it hit me. The sudden, irresistible urge to knit. All this tension came tumbling down my shoulders and needed to spill out by creating something with my hands. Something that allowed me to thrum out my stress through relatively mindless repetition.

I picked up some socks that rock yarn from Rhinebeck's past & got going on some socks. And boom! My knitting mojo was back!
It seemed fitting that I should come across the "Go With the Flow" socks from Favorite Socks in my "to-be-knit" binder. I mean, I was going to lose my job regardless of how stressed I was going to be about it.

I could freak out and worry about it (which I still do at times) or I can just go with it. It, being the flow. Take it as a positive opportunity to leave guilt-free in search of better opportunities. And be thankful I'd be taking my knitting mojo with me when I go. I told myself that I would make the best of it, and when I got a fantastic new job, I would knit the "9 to 5" socks to complete the knitting metaphor.

And here I am two weeks later with a sock & a half completed, the urge to knit more, my resume sent in to be considered for quite a few great positions, and a back up counseling position that just landed into place which I have already begun.

Of course, that doesn't mean everything is perfect. Having started another counseling position while finishing up my former one means I am theoretically working four jobs at the moment. And changes like this always wear on my over-planning, stability-loving personality. But I'm still looking at the brighter side of things, and knitting away all the rest. The rest will just have to fall into place on it's own.

No comments: