Friday, May 22, 2009

New Start

Hello internet world!

You probably assumed I had abandoned this blog. Well..I kind of did. More out of neglect than a conscious quitting though. You may have even thought in your wildest dreams, that I had stopped being crafty all together. Well...I kind of did that too. Before about two weeks ago, I hadn't knit in months! I can't tell you how long it's been since I picked up a paintbrush. And sadly, the only reason my sewing machine isn't covered in a thick layer of dust is because I've been lending it out to other people.

I don't know why I'm always so surprised when I recognize (once again), how closely my creative process is connected to my mental health. The word "duh" seems appropriate here. But here I was in a hating my job, hating where I'm living, winter (carried over into spring) rut that I just couldn't shake. I knew doing some art work would probably help me through some of this, but at the same time I just couldn't muster up enough motivation to pick up knitting sticks, let alone think about creating something.

And then there's this blog. I created this blog thinking it would be a nice little compartmentalized showing of all the things I created, with some lofty diatribes about the creative process, which would simultaneously omit 80% of any information about my real life. My real, messy, not always feeling immensely creative or inspired life. You see, I've been burned by you before, internet world. Or rather by people who would misuse my relationship with you, and I just wasn't ready to go down that road again. I still may not be. But I know this-if this blog is going to be at all helpful or relevant to me, or to anyone else for that matter, I need it to be real.

I need it to include shit I make, but then hate. Pictures of my messy craft room, which often resembles more of a junk room. It needs to include the books I read, my writing, the music that inspires me, my new ventures into gardening, sustainable living and cooking. I need it to include my feelings, insecurities, loves, and all the other things that actually drive my creativity (and occasionally hinder it). Otherwise, it's just fluff. And let's face it-I'm too old, too busy and too wise to invest my time in fakin' it.

So, here's to a new start, internet world. Let's see what we can learn from one another.

1 comment:

leah said...

seeing you this evening prompted me to check your blog again. i am happy to hear about your worms. i have escapees every once in a while too. i think it's okay so long as they aren't all trying to run away.

keep me posted on the gsca stuff. i am kept pretty busy with the little ones but i would love to contribute when i can.