Tuesday, June 27, 2006

when you're living in the ghetto it's do or die

So I have been slacking, yet again, on the blogging. But believe me, it's not for a lack of artistic explorations. You see...it's the picture taking that's getting to me. Whatever photography skills I may have once possessed have been allowed to settle in the dust, so to speak. My digital camera's not that great. And last, but not least on the list of excuses, is the lighting. Of course natural lighting is best for picture taking of this sort. Problem is- there's none to be had! It's been rain, rain, rain here. To make a long story short- pardon the crappy pictures folks.

Diamonique has been restarted for the...um...I don't know. I forget how many times I've taken this puppy apart. But somewhere along the way I made the decision to switch yarns. Perhaps it was the color. Or more likely, the comfort in knowing I had enough of that last yarn. I just have to make things difficult for myself; knit on the wild side.

The piece has grown considerably. I have most of the back done. Along the way, while decreasing for armholes and whatnot, the diamond pattern got a little mish-moshed. But I've decided it's just going to be one of those unique quirks that makes this garment a lovable hand-made. (read: I was going to poke my eyes out with the knitting needles if I frogged it again)
I also painted this picture about 2 months ago. The photo does the colors absolutely no justice. The background is a royal purple, and the flowers are gold. Apparantly, I'm in a purple phase. But it's a simple painting based off something or other that I had come across and decided was better to make myself than purchase.
In the world of sewing, I finally got over my anxiety enough to attempt making a garment from scratch. So with much help & guidance from the illustrious Ms.Moira, I made this skirt. I am super super proud of it. I resized it twice and even put a zipper in!

The skirt is also a great accomplishment because it fulfills the goals of my challenge. And the challenge is this- I will probably need professional type clothing to wear to my field placement for graduate school. However, I am pretty damn poor & just added another $18,500 to my current debt. Thus, I am going to attempt to compose a small, modest, professional wardrobe full of things I have either made, or aquired second hand. The Diamonique project is included, as is the black jacket I'm wearing in the above photo ($4 at a yard sale).

I don't know how well it's going to work out. I'm a very novel sewer, but I'm going to try. It's very possible I've just overestimated what is feasible after watching too much "Project Runway", but wish me luck anyway!
Last, but not least, in blogging news- I got myself a dress form! I've been wanting one cuz I think they are cool & have high hopes that I'll one day do so much sewing that owning one will be an absolute necessity. I found her on the side of the road as a tailor was disposing of her. The old gal looks quite good for having been made in 1960. In this photo she is modeling items for sale at my recent yard sale.

Now that she's been in the house for a bit she's really been evolving. She has since aquired more attire, as well as a paper face & a hat that sits properly. My house guests like to debate her name & set her up with the single fellas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember when you bought that fabric for the skirt! i love it! love it!

lauren, i'm sorry to say that i probably have none of that purple yarn you're using - but i just might. so what kind is it? i have odds n ends here from when that yarn store went out of business, and have a few hanks of random purples. so yeah, lemme know.

Elena said...

I think it's a great idea to make your own fancy work clothes. I know everything I wore to my field placement was thrifted.
And that was a great score on the dress form! I want one even though I don't really sew. They're just cool in that creepy way.