Friday, June 30, 2006

apples & oranges

I never feel more complete than when I make certain to incorporate art into my life. I've been doing that more lately, and it feels fantastic. I've also been inspired by a lot of fantastic work by folks I come across on the internet as well, and they inspire me to push my work further & to make it more frequently.

I've always done drawings of some sort for expression. Occasionally I'll make collages or sketches in my written journal when articulating things through words feels too heavy. Recently, I came across this livejournal which reminded me how good it feels doing those types of sketches. These are just two random ones I've done lately...
So I don't really ever drink anymore at all. I've never been into drugs, and I don't even like taking asprin unless I have to. But after taking Vicodin for my wisdom tooth removal...well, it's was just nice to have an excuse to feel so mellow after all the stress I've been under.
I did this the other day. It's just a question I've been asking myself. Maybe I'll color it. Maybe I won't.

And while I've never considered myself particularly fashion savvy, knitting has really allowed me to admit to myself how much I love the "fiber arts" (as Melissa would say). What it comes down to is- I really do love fashion (shhhh...don't tell). I'm getting better at admitting that to myself by learning that fashion doesn't have to be just a rich person's passion.
I've been reading blogs like this one, and dress a day (on top of all the knitting blogs, that is).

Yesterday, I thrifted this amazing skirt. I love the fabric. With my new found confidence after making that skirt with Moira, I bought this even though it's got a 26inch waist (pssshhh, yeah, as if). Luckily, after the last resizing, I know precisely how I'm going to resize this one.

And this (scary) beauty on the left is the dress form with the additions I mentioned in my last post. She freaks people out whenever they walk into the room. Some call her terrifying. I think of her as my watch dog.

I've also been painting, though I have nothing finished to share right now. Miles & I spread the paint supplies all over the living room floor and just play. It's really refreshing to have a friend that I am comfortable enough to paint with & enjoy their company even if we aren't talking at all.

And, of course, there's still knitting going on here & there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear knitty digital,
i really like your drawings. and i like that even if your wary of going into different mediums...you eventually dive in. and what emerges is beautiful and creative art. thanks for sharing!
love,
a fist-throwing friend