Friday, October 31, 2008

way delayed

Here I go cheating again, but I did not get to finish this post yesterday. There was just too much other running around.

So here is another delayed post, about another thing in my life that almost seems like it happened in another lifetime, it was that long ago.

This
, my dear readers, is the mural I painted on the wall of a community center in Guaimaca, Honduras.
It says"...your seed of solidarity gives a new hope to our community".

The wall is to thank & commemorate people who have significantly contributed to the community center, many of which were based out of Berkshire County, MA.

Therefore, one of the mountain ranges represents the mountains of the berkshires, the other the mountains of Honduras.
This is lil ol' me with a close up of the mountains.

And this is a close up of the hands which is my favorite part.

This shot is really just for the purpose of scale.

For the most part, I painted this mural independently. (Shantell helped me fill in the green for the mountains.) I had hoped to do mural projects with children, but they had testing for school around the time I was there so it just didn't come together fast enough. I hope to go back to continue that project.

In total the mural took me about a week to paint. It was an interesting challenge to get paint and materials for this- I had my first hitchhiking experience as we had to go into the capital (about an hours car ride or so) to get affordable & appropriate paint.

The mural is right across the street from my friend Eddie & his families house. (They built the building & run the project there) And it's the first thing you see when you walk out of the door in the morning. It's also visible from the dirt road that passes the center.

It was a tremendous honor to be allowed to leave behind such a lasting mark and it was a great learning experience. It was the largest scaled piece I had ever painted, and the first time I had made something so publicly accessible. Although I had participated in the boarded up project, that piece itself had been created at home. I painted the mural at all hours of the day when people would watch from the road or come up and discuss it with me- what it looked like, what it's message & intent was. It was a gratifying process and I am very proud of the results.

No comments: